An Interview with Dr. Narayanan Balasubrahmanian !

Dr. Narayan Balasubrahmanian,  is known to Mumbai Textile processing organisations as a mobile encyclopedia.  Even for that matter, any  problem in textiles he is able to offer some solutions off hand, without going too  much details about it.  That is the prowess on the subject, which  he took very dearer to his heart all these years. While working at BTRA, as a Joint Director, he conducted many studies in and around the metropolis of Mumbai, and there was hardly any year where his research papers  were not seen in the combined BTRA/SITRA Technological conferences, organised  annually. 

(Later, NITRA  was added) His papers were published in TRA, TRi, Textile progress, BTRA Scan, JTI, ITJ, of international repute. 

When CTRL got OE-SPINNING MACHINE, by  THE MESSRS. RIETER MACHINE WORKS, several reputed textile mills personnel came to see the working performance, so that they can also install  OE machines on a  big scale. 

Dr. Balasubrahmanian,  had come along with Messrs. Bombay dyeing and manufacturing co;

I happened to know him mainly by studying  his research papers, in various journals  and  used to  meet during  sessions  conducted  by the research associations.  Later, I came very close when I approached  him to write a foreword for  my publication,  'MY SPIN LAB',  published in the year 2005, by the Chandra publications, USA. On 11th, May,  2016 he telephoned me to enquire one book of reference (Journal of the Textile institute (Manchester, 1925)  would be available in CIRCOT  library. That  is the zest and  enthusiasm of knowing things, at his ripe  age  of 80 years.

Some excerpts of the Interview :

HRLV  :  Good afternoon Sir.  When did you come from Bengaluru ?

Dr. N.B : Please come. I came yesterday evening flight. I was staying with my son at Bengaluru for one month. 

In 1953, I completed my B.Sc., degree from Madras University, Later, In 1955, B.Sc(Tech), Textile Technology, Madras University,  1961, M.Sc., Textile Physics, Mumbai University  1964,  Ph.D., Textile Technology, Leeds University,A.T.I., (Associate membership from the Textile Institute, Manchester)  In 1970,  F.T.I., (Hon Fellow of Textile Institute, Manchester) from,  Textile Institute, Manchester,


When did you retire from BTRA ?

N. Balasubramanian :  In 1995, retired as Joint Director of Bombay Textile Research Association. I have total of  50 years experience in Research and Development field in Textile processing. I worked as a Consultant to leading Textile Mills and Non woven units. Research Guide for M.Sc., and Ph.D., Of Bombay University.






H.R.L.Venkatesh  :  Sir, Please tell your childhood days, about your parents, and the family background.


N.Balasubramanian : 

I was born in No 1, Lakshmipuram, Royapettah,Madras ( now Chennai) on 10, January, 1935. My father's  name is N.Narayanan, who retired as Assistant Examiner of Local Fund Audit in Madras Corporation, My mother's name is Sounderambal. I studied in P.S.High School, Mylapore, Madras and stood first in my section. I did intermediate and B.Sc (physics in Government Arts college, Madras Stood first in college. I did B.Sc (Tech) in Textile Technology in A.C. College of technology, Guindy, Madras and stood 2nd.


HRLVenkatesh :  After degree course, you straight away came to Bombay ?

Dr. N.Balasubramanian :  No After working in Meenakshi mills in Madurai for 7 months both in Spinning and Weaving Departments. Later,  I joined Technological Laboraatoryin 1956, as Research scholar, I was promoted as Jr. Research Officer in March, 1958. During 1958-60  completed the Part-I and part -II of ATI examinations.  Adenwala Road, Matunga, Bombay, and worked for about 6 years and went to Leeds University, U.K. to do Ph.D. under Commonwealth scholarship. I got married in 1962, My wife was also with me in Leeds. 

HRLVenkatesh :  Did you work in any textile mills there at Manchester ?
Dr. N.Balasubramanian :  No. I returned to Bombay and joined BTRA in 1965 and worked there upto 1995. During my service in BTRA I did R &D work and technical consultancy in Textiles and Non-wovens. I had also guided about 8 students for M.Text. and 4 - 5 for Ph.D.   After retirement I am providing Technical Consultancy to leading Textile Mills and Non woven units in India. I am also writing articles in Journals and am Referee for some leading journals for whetting out articles for publications.

During my service in BTRA I did R &D work and technical consultancy in Textiles and Non wovens.


* I had also guided about 8 students for M.Text. and 4 - 5 for Ph.D.


* I am providing Technical Consultancy to leading Textile Mills and Nonwoven units in India.


* I am also writing articles in Journals and am Referee for some leading journals for whetting out articles for publications.


Dr. N.Balasubrahmanian affectionately remembers his beloved  wife, Smt. Jamuna  balasubrahmanian who attained heavenly abode  and   left him 6 years ago.



Later  on, I met Dr. Balasubramanianji, by invitation to me. He was staying in his house which took for redevelopment in 23 months, under his guidance. (He was the chairman of the CHS, where he lived)  He stayed in that new flat for nearly one year. I took the following photo.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"ನೇಸರು ಜಾಗತಿಕ ಏಕಾಂಕ ನಾಟಕ ರಚನಾ ಸ್ಪರ್ಧೆ-2022ರ ಬಹುಮಾನ ವಿತರಣೆ ಹಾಗೂ ಕನ್ನಡ ನಾಟಕ- "ಚಿಟ್ಟೆ" ಪ್ರದರ್ಶನ !

ಮೈಸೂರು ಅಸೋಸಿಯೇಷನ್ ಮುಂಬಯಿನಲ್ಲಿ 'ಕನಕಜಯಂತ್ಯೋತ್ಸವ' !

Mysore association, Mumbai, Swarna Gauri & Ganesh pujotsav (2023) !